Wikis often have a need to link to other wikis in the course of creating the best possible content. This policy is meant to clarify when interwiki links are appropriate, and specify the few rare instances in which they will not be permitted. In all cases, where possible, interwiki links should make use of the Interwiki table feature.
For the purposes of this policy, "Interwiki link" refers to any link to an external wiki, either using the Interwiki table or as a basic external link.
Common interwiki prefixes
On Gamepedia, some typical interwiki prefixes are already created for all wikis, including for Wikipedia (e.g. [[:Wikipedia:Flower]] for Wikipedia:Flower), the MediaWiki wiki (mw), and for the Help Wiki (gphelp). The interwiki table can be edited by any admin. For more information see the full section about interwiki links.
Within Gamepedia and Fandom
Basically, any wiki with multiple language versions should have interlanguage links to all language versions, regardless of platform.
Wikis with at least one language version on the “other” platform
For wikis where there is a language version not on the same platform as the English version, the interlanguage prefixes for each language should exist on each wiki.
- Example: Zelda wiki has an English and a French version on Gamepedia, but several other language versions on Fandom. Each language wiki should be linked via interlanguage links pointing to every other language wiki.
In cases of duplicate language versions (a single language on both platforms), the interlanguage prefix should point to the language version on the same platform.
Wikis on neither Fandom nor Gamepedia
Wikis on neither Fandom nor Gamepedia should not be linked via interlanguage prefixes but may be linked via an interwiki prefix.
- Example: Zelda wiki had a link via
[[de:]]to an independent site but there is a German wiki on Fandom. The prefix should not point to the independent site, but to the German wiki on Fandom. The independent site could still be linked via an interwiki prefix (note the interwiki vs interlanguage distinction) like “
[[de-other:]]” (or some other more appropriate prefix).
To external wikis
- Interwiki links for the purpose of citing or referencing external wikis are permissible, but should not prominently direct users to other wikis
- Interwiki links to language variants for a game or subject that do not exist on Gamepedia are permitted (but we encourage admins to work with language variants to consolidate on Gamepedia)
- Interwiki links to other wikis that cover the exact game or subject are not permitted in any main namespace page
- Exception: When a link is necessary to provide attribution for licensing reasons
Questions or disputes
If in the course of editing any questions or disputes about this policy arise, please contact a member of Gamepedia staff or file a ticket through our support system.